I bought some water-purification tablets and tested them on my tapwater for taste. Instead of using iodine, they oxidize any biological contamination using chlorine dioxide. As advertised, it's true that they don't leave any aftertaste, which can be a blessing (aftertastes are the worst, specifically when you have nothing to get rid of them except the thing that has an aftertaste). Unfortunately, there is a striking chlorine smell. The odor is worse than the taste, and probably isn't helped by the cheap disposable plastic water bottle I did the test in. It would probably be tolerable in a camelback or a water bottle with a sip-top.
You do have to wait 4 hours for the chemicals to be effective on the more stubborn disease-causing cysts. But other than having to strategize the timing, it seems like an easy way to go.
Luckily, most of my cooking and coffee preparation already involves boiling, so there shouldn't be a problem with off tastes in the food and beverage department.